Re: Transaction Logs Recycling Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Mangiagalli
Subject Re: Transaction Logs Recycling Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote ..
> "Colin Mangiagalli" <colin@camara.co.za> writes:
> > Could these permission denied errors have been cause by the fact that
> > ntsec was off and the permissions weren't set correctly on the
> > data folder.
>
> If the folder permissions were wrong, then every single attempt to
> create or rename a log file would have failed, I'd think.  It sounded to
> me more like a few of the individual log files had wrong ownership or
> permissions.  If you ran initdb as Administrator then the
> originally-created log file would have belonged to Administrator, but
> the additional ones would have belonged to postgres --- that might
> explain the behavior.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi

This morning I see the database was down. I had a look at the
permissions on the log files. THey are owned by Administrator and
permissions are (rw r r) .This is on the machine that I haven't
changed yet, doesn't have ntsec on and is on the domain.

The interesting thing is, when the database stops, it always stops at
just after 7pm, but the network guys assure me that nothing is happening
over the network at that time (ie. backups, etc)

The other machine I have, randomly seems to fall over, but since I took
it off the domain, it has been working fine.

If I set ntsec, do I need to run export the database, run initdb and then
import the database again, or can I just change ownership to postgres and
set the permissions.

I think I need to set ntsec and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for all the help
Colin