Re: pg_avd - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_avd
Date
Re: pg_avd  (Olleg Samoylov <olleg@jane.telecom.mipt.ru>)
List pgsql-patches
This looks very good.  It is something I have been hoping to have for
7.4.  It does what I think everyone wanted, that is, uses the stats
collector to determine what tables to vacuum.

Just a few comments:

    The copyright line in the text should probably be removed.
    pg_avd seems pretty cryptic.  Perhaps pg_autovacuum.
    I like the fact it is a client app.

Now, where do we put it?  /bin, /contrib, gborg?

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Here is the code for the auto vacuum daemon I'm working on.
>
> I know some type of auto vacuum is highly desired by the project, I just
> don't know if this implementation of auto vacuum is desired as it's not
> built into the backend, rather it's a client app.
>
> Attached is tar.gz with all the files, expand it into the src/bin
> directory in the source tree and apply the Makefile.diff patch to
> src/bin/Makefile and then pg_avd will be built as an executable and
> installed in the bin directory along with psql and others.
>
> I have done some benchmarking (I posted some of it to hackers several
> weeks back) it always helps with file sizes, but doesn't always help
> performance since it might kick off a vacuum in the middle of your
> transaction.  However it does prevent postgres from performing badly due
> to excessive file size and distorted statistics.
>
> Please try it out and give me feedback.  Included in the tar is a README
> that describes what I have done, and how to use pg_avd.
>
> Matthew

[ Attachment, skipping... ]