Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I am happy to design an arrangement that allows you not to depend on
> PGDATA if you don't want to.  But I don't see why you need to break
> my configuration procedures in order to fix yours.  As I outlined last
> night, it's possible to do what you want without breaking backwards
> compatibility for those that like PGDATA.

Yes, I agree.  I hadn't really thought of all the possible benefits of
PGDATA.  Sorry.  :-(

Would you agree that it would be a beneficial change to have pg_ctl
pass explicit arguments to postmaster?  It would go a long way towards
eliminating most of the situations I described.

A warning in the documentation about the consequences of using PGDATA
might not be a bad idea, either...

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com