Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The other side of that coin is, what's the good reason to remove it?
>> There's a long way between "I don't want my setup to depend on PGDATA"
>> and "I don't think your setup should be allowed to depend on PGDATA".
>> If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.  Why do you need to
>> tell me how I'm allowed to run my installation?

> I'm not talking about getting rid of ALL dependency on PGDATA in our
> entire distribution, only postmaster's.

We're obviously talking past each other.  You are arguing that under
circumstances X, Y, or Z, depending on a PGDATA setting is a bad idea.
You are then drawing the conclusion that I should not be allowed to
depend on PGDATA, whether or not I care about X, Y, or Z.

I am happy to design an arrangement that allows you not to depend on
PGDATA if you don't want to.  But I don't see why you need to break
my configuration procedures in order to fix yours.  As I outlined last
night, it's possible to do what you want without breaking backwards
compatibility for those that like PGDATA.