Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Daniel Kalchev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Changing the default configuration
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>>>Josh Berkus said:
 > How about we take this discussion to the Performance List, where it belongs?

I believe the design and addition of code that collects and outputs the usage patterns of the database (statistics)
belongshere.

If we take the approach to providing information to tune PostgreSQL based on real-world usage, I guess we need at least
thefollowing:

- Usage statistics on a per-database or even per-table level. I believe we already collect some;
- Statistics analysis tool/routine/process to produce suggestions;
- Of course lots of real-world data to justify the suggestions;

- Can we provide more knobs for tunable parameters that can be applied on a per-database or even per-table level. One
firstcandidate might be the FSM?
- Can some of these parameters (when available) to auto-tune?

Of course, this could move out of pgsql-hackers :)

Daniel