Re: Sum of Intervals - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Sum of Intervals
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 15:37:07 +0100, Plant Thomas <Thomas.Plant@lvh.it> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to do a sum() of some time intervals.
> I get the result as: '1 day 02:30' which is ok, but is there a function
> which converts this to hours or do I have to write my own?
> For example the '1 day 02:30' should become 26:30 hours.

You can get the seconds using extract and then do further manipulation.
To get fractional hours you can use the example below. To get hours and
minutes you can use modular arithmatic and concatenate to build the
desired string.

area=> select extract(epoch from '1 day 02:30'::interval) / 3600;?column?
(1 row)