index strategies - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From val@webtribe.net
List pgsql-sql
Can someone point me in the direction of some good, useful info
re: datamine index strategies?

I have one BIG table (apr :
Attribute |           Type           | Modifier
-----------+--------------------------+----------dnis      | text                     |cli       | text
   |iplogin   | text                     |brand     | text                     |begintime | timestamp with time zone
|endtime  | timestamp with time zone |ipaddr    | text

Any one of the columns may be used in the where clause of a
select statement.
There are also aggregates used in select statements
(e.g., sum(endtime-begintime) group by iplogin AND count(*)
group by iplogin).

I have a small clue (ha!) about indexing but want to know the
proper way to attack the indexing strategy.

Any info given is v much appreciated.

Val