Re: bytea - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: bytea
Date
List pgsql-sql
That would be convenient but there are some difficulties. Say you have a
function that worked something like:
insert.....values (...., filetobytea("/home/me/myfile"),...);
It would be a nice ability to have but the server may not be on the same
machine (or even the same type/os/filesystem) as the client so sending a
pathname to the server is of little use. Such an ability must be handled by
the client which can read/translate the local file into the appropriate byte
sequence to send to the server.

I'm toying with a client program in C program that would include the ability
to take a file on the client machine and store it in a bytea field but
haven't come up with a good way to handle the necessary buffer space (ie. I
don't see any way to "stream" data to the server - it appears I need to
allocate sufficient buffer space for the entire file plus the entire escaped
version of the file before I can generate the query which causes me some
other problems.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve