Re: - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-admin
If I understand correctly, you should be able to copy the files directly if
the database is shut down (completely stopped, not just idle).

But have you considered running pg_dump from your other machine? As long as
you set postgresql to accept remote connections and pg_hba.conf allows them
from the other machines then you can have your server on machine A and run
your pg_dump or pg_dumpall on machine B saving its output to that machine.

Or, if you can rsh from machine B to a you can use rsh to start your dump
(ie. rsh A "pg_dumpall ..." > backupfile) so pg_dumpall will be running on A
but dumping its output across the wire to stdout on B which then gets
redirected to your bakup file (of if you want to be fancy, directly as input
to psql to create the database on your other machine).

"There's more than one way to do it."

Cheers,
Steve