Re: UPDATE slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Smith
Subject Re: UPDATE slow
Date
List pgsql-general

Think that makes sense ;). However, I just dropped all the foreign key constraints on stats and there wasn't any speed increase in the query. I've also tried dropping the index on clicks (no speed-up there either).

John

 Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, John Smith wrote:
>
> > I should also probably note that neither of the foreign key columns is being updated.
>
> It doesn't matter, unfortunately. It currently checks even in that case
> due to ON * SET DEFAULT having a failure case if you don't check when no
> keys are changed (if you remove the default - and you can't necessarily
> check this beforehand either if the defaults are not stable). Among the
> various changes I've been working with is making it only do the check if
> one of the set default cases is given or if the key changed.

I've actually got most of that done as part of the other patches I've been
working on. I could probably try to do the same to 7.3 (as opposed to
7.4 devel) and make a separate patch out of it.

Do you Yahoo!?