Re: CSV import - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: CSV import
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 29 January 2003 5:50 am, Oliver Vecernik wrote:
> Oliver Vecernik schrieb:
> > Hi again!
> >
> > After investigating a little bit further my CSV import couldn't work
> > because of following reasons:
> >
> > 1. CSV files are delimited with CR/LF
> > 2. text fields are surrounded by double quotes
> >
> > Is there a direct way to import such files into PostgreSQL?

Here's a simple command that will take

"hello","world","splat","diddle"
"he said "hello world" to ","his mate"and convert it to the following tab delimited file that can be COPYed using
psql. It even handles quotes inside fields. (^m and ^i are done by typing
CTRL+V CTRL+M and CTRL+V CTRL+I)

hello   world   splat   diddle
he said "hello world" to        his mate

sed 's/^"//' <t.txt|sed 's/"^m$//'|sed 's/","/^i/g'>t1.txt

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn