Re: Status of tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Dalitz
Subject Re: Status of tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-general
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:16:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
>
> It is badly needed yet.  Not sure why it is under Exotic.  Probably
> means at the time I added it, it was "way out there".  I suspect it
> should be moved to administration. I will do that.

I only know the Oracle implementation of tablespaces and have found it
rather annoying: when the tablespace is created Oracle grabs the
entire(!!!) space from the system, independent of the actual amount
of data currently stored in the tablespace. This causes trouble
on small systems because the database needs all disk space in advance.

What are the plans for Postgres tablespaces?
Only an upper bound for the storage space?
Will tablespaces be optional or mandatory?

Thanks,

Christoph Dalitz