Re: v7.3.1 psql against a v7.2.x database ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Kalchev
Subject Re: v7.3.1 psql against a v7.2.x database ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>>greg@turnstep.com said:> I'd support making psql 7.3 and forward be aware of the backend they > are connecting to,
andsupport them being able to work against all 7.3+ > servers, but I still fail to see the pressing need for a
backward-compatible    > version when the correct one is always shipped with the server.

This hits the nail in the head. I was just counting the pros' and cons to
upgrade an large production system from 7.2.3 to 7.3.x.

The trouble is, there is need to access both types of databases, new and old.
Often from the same psql executable.

So psql should definitely be backward compatible!

Daniel