Re: To use a VIEW or not to use a View..... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: To use a VIEW or not to use a View.....
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Ries van Twisk wrote:

> Dear PostgreSQL users,
>
> I have a view and a table,
>
> I understand that when a frontend accesses a VIEW that PostgreSQL cannot use
> a index on that view.
> For example when I do this: SELECT * FROM full_cablelist WHERE
> projectocode=5; Correct?

In general, no.  There are some exceptions, for example views using
EXCEPT I believe will not push conditions down.  In 7.2.x, views using
any of the set ops (INTERSECT, UNION, EXCEPT) wouldn't push conditions
down.  There are a few other such conditions, but for your view, I think
this isn't going to be an issue.