Re: "Best practice" advice - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: "Best practice" advice
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andrew,

> The relationship is one-to-many, and I can handle that fine. The issue
> is: some of the references in the core documents will be to other core
> documents. Other references will be to documents that are not in the core
> documents table.  I need to track whether the document referred to is
> in the core table or not. The question is how best to capture this.  Ideas
> I have are:

I'd suggest, instead, having just one "documents" table with a boolean column
called "is_core".   This will simplify relating core docs to each other, and
additionally allow for the promotion of "peripheral" docs to the core easily.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco