Re: schema/db design wrt performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: schema/db design wrt performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:50:04AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Could BEFORE INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE triggers perform the same
> functionality while touching only the desired records, thus
> decreasing conflict?

You can make the constraint DEFERRABLE INITIALY DEFERRED.  It helps
somewhat.  But the potential for deadlock, and the backing up, will
still happen to some degree.  It's a well-known flaw in the FK
system.  I beleive the FK implementation was mostly intended as a
proof of concept.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110