Re: What benefits can I expect from schemas ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: What benefits can I expect from schemas ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bob Lapique wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I could not find much documentation about SQL 92 schemas that version
> 7.3 now supports. I understood it was a structure to group various
> objects, which allows faster privilege management, namespaces
> definition.
> Besides that, I don't see any advantages. I'd be glad if someone could
> point them out for me, or give doc links.

That's pretty much it.  You can give each user their own namespace so
they can all create tables with the same name, or put applications in
their own namespace so they don't conflict with other applications.
You can also control object creation easier by restricting privs on the
public namespace.

Pennsylvania19073