Re: IPv6 patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: IPv6 patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Copeland wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 15:29, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > (2) A socket type is explicitly enabled for the server to use, and if
> > creation fails, server startup fails.  It seems that the current code
> > falls back to IPv4 if IPv6 fails.
>
> IIRC, it allows it to fall back to IPv4 in case it's compiled for IPv6
> support but the kernel isn't compiled to support IPv6.  If that is the
> case, admittedly, you seem to have a point.  If someone compiles in v6
> support and their system doesn't have v6 support and it's been requested
> via run-time config, it's should fail just like any other.

Yes, right now, it is kind of a mystery when it falls back to IPv4.  It
does print a message in the server logs:
 LOG:  server socket failure: getaddrinfo2() using IPv6: hostname nor servname provided, or not known LOG:  IPv6
supportdisabled --- perhaps the kernel does not support IPv6 LOG:  IPv4 socket created

It appears right at the top because creating the socket is the first
thing it does.  A good question is once we have a way for the user to
control IPv4/6, what do we ship as a default?  IPv4-only?  Both, and if
both, do we fail on a kernel that doesn't have IPv6 enabled?

Pennsylvania19073