From Shane McChesney
Subject Re: [GENERAL] www.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I'm with Gavin and the others who think the site is better off
without ads.

What are the hosting costs? I'll happily pitch in $50 CAD a year to
help with hosting, just tell me where to send it. Paypal works for me
too.

The ads are not just irrelevant, they cheapen the site. I know this
isn't a "corporate" site, but it's a product site, a database site,
and it therefore exists in a context of other similar sites. It
doesn't need to be a clone of any of them, but it should recognize
that it is in competition, it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

It should focus on PostgreSQL, not car rentals and accommodations in
Greece, not hosting, not funeral homes, not tourism in the Maritimes.

Clicking on any ad currently brings you to Hub.org. And the RHID ad
is sized so badly that the text across the bottom seems to read
"cavelopnert" in all three of my browsers.

This new site is a great advance over the old one, kudos to all
involved... but there's still an "advertross" around its neck.

- Shane McChesney