Re: Need help paging through record sets - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Need help paging through record sets
Date
List pgsql-sql
Sort of depends on the nature of your application. You can use offset to get
specific chunks:

select * from foo order by date limit 100 offset 100;

You should be aware, however, that on a very large table this can be quite
inefficient as you will have to do the select and sort on the large table
just to get the next chunk. (With only 600 tuples you will probably have
everything in memory anyway so it's not really a problem.) Also, if the data
is actively updated you could get a tuple added or deleted between page views
which would mess up the offsets and cause someone to miss an item or get a
duplicate.

If you want to page through a small subset of a large file you can use
cursors or temporary tables but you will have to be sure your connection
persistence, session management and such can accomodate such an arrangement.

Cheers,
Steve