Re: Server testing. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Godee
Subject Re: Server testing.
Date
List pgsql-general
I also believe when buying servers, spend the extra money
and buy quality servers. Our new cpq DL380 G2 has redunant everything....
mem,cpu,bios,fans,controllers,drives,nics. It costs a little(lot) extra, but
for me it's ALWAYS paid in the long run.

What kind of server is this that keeps crashing?
Did I read this thread right earlier, this system has Raid 1 "IDE" drives?
Must be a new direction in server class machines?

Just the other night I wrote a bad sql statement that was interesting
in that it would blow up postgres! It would chew cpu @ 100% then, slowy chew
up all available memory, and then move on to chew up all available swap space,
and finally you would end up with a "killed" process. Hey, what can I say
I had to run it several more times just to see how postgres, linux and
the hardware handled the whole thing but it never, locked up the hardware.
Had a couple of processes left over that I had to kill by doing a pg_ctl fast restart
but that was it.