UPDATE comparing dates and non-dates data - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From javier garcia
Subject UPDATE comparing dates and non-dates data
Date
Re: UPDATE comparing dates and non-dates data  (Bret Hughes <bhughes@elevating.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi;
I've got date data, extracted from rain gauge stations. The date of a row in
my data are structured in three integer fields, and as a result of a query I
can get the following (what is quite good for my):cod_station | year | month | day | rain
-------------+------+-------+-----+------7250        | 1933 |     8 |   1 |    457250        | 1933 |     8 |   2 |
37250       | 1933 |     8 |   3 |    0

and this for several rain station for about forty years. My problem is that I
need to find missing data (a missing data here is a non-existent row).

I think I could prepare a table with a complete series of date field, and
ALTER it to ADD aditional fields for every station I need to add:
date         |  stat_7250   | stat_7237 ...
----------------+--------------------+---------------+------...
1/11/1999
2/12/1999
, and make an UPDATE that in someway, will compare the "date" of this table
with an extracted date from "year", "day" and "rain" from the aforementioned
SELECT, leaving the non-coincident dates in blank and filling the rain data
of the coincident dates. Is this possible? How?

Please help.
Thank you for any possible advice

--
A. Javier García