Re: [BUGS] Bug #718: request for improvement of /? to show - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [BUGS] Bug #718: request for improvement of /? to show
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, new output attached.  Does the HTML section look silly now with only
> > two entries?
>
> Yeah.  I think it should be folded into "Formatting", since it really is
> only an output-formatting option.
>
> I have a problem with the "Query Buffer" section, also: I don't think
> \i, \o, etc have anything to do with the query buffer.  Could we split
> this section into "Query Buffer" (\g \r \e \p \w) and "I/O Redirection"
> (\i \o \s), or something like that?  Perhaps \copy could go into the
> redirection section too, rather than suffering a shotgun wedding with
> the large-object commands.

OK, I have created an "I/O  Redirection" section and moved \i and \o
into there.  I didn't think \s (history) belonged there.  I also
couldn't see \copy as I/O redirection.  (It is a shotgun wedding,
though.)

I have moved Formatting above the "shotgun wedding."

General
 \c[onnect] [DBNAME|- [USER]]
                connect to new database (currently "test")
 \q             quit psql
 \h [NAME]      help on syntax of SQL commands, * for all commands
 \copyright     show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
 \cd [DIR]      change the current working directory
 \! [COMMAND]   execute command in shell or start interactive shell
 \encoding [ENCODING]  show or set client encoding
 \set [NAME [VALUE]]  set internal variable, or list all if no parameters
 \unset NAME    unset (delete) internal variable
 \timing        toggle timing of commands (currently off)

Query Buffer
 \g [FILE]      send query buffer to server (and results to file or |pipe)
 \r             reset (clear) the query buffer
 \e [FILE]      edit the query buffer (or file) with external editor
 \p             show the contents of the query buffer
 \w [FILE]      write query buffer to file
 \s [FILE]      display history or save it to file

I/O Redirection
 \i FILE        execute commands from file
 \o FILE        send all query results to file or |pipe

Informational
 \d [NAME]      describe table, index, sequence, or view
 \d{t|i|s|v|S} [PATTERN] (add "+" for more detail)
                list tables/indexes/sequences/views/system tables
 \da [PATTERN]  list aggregate functions
 \dd [PATTERN]  show comment for object
 \dD [PATTERN]  list domains
 \df [PATTERN]  list functions (add "+" for more detail)
 \do [NAME]     list operators
 \dl            list large objects, same as \lo_list
 \dp [PATTERN]  list table access privileges
 \dT [PATTERN]  list data types (add "+" for more detail)
 \du [PATTERN]  list users
 \l             list all databases (add "+" for more detail)
 \z [PATTERN]   list table access privileges (same as \dp)

Formatting
 \x             toggle expanded output (currently off)
 \a             toggle between unaligned and aligned output mode
 \f [STRING]    show or set field separator for unaligned query output
 \pset NAME [VALUE]  set table output option
                (NAME := {format|border|expanded|fieldsep|null|recordsep|
                tuples_only|title|tableattr|pager})
 \C [STRING]    set table title, or unset if none
 \t             show only rows (currently off)
 \echo [STRING] write string to standard output
 \qecho [STRING]  write string to query output stream (see \o)
 \H             toggle HTML output mode (currently off)
 \T [STRING]    set HTML <table> tag attributes, or unset if none

Large Object, Copy
 \lo_export
 \lo_import
 \lo_list
 \lo_unlink     large object operations
 \copy ...      perform SQL COPY with data stream to the client host