Re: Adding foreign key constraint post table creation - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Adding foreign key constraint post table creation
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Monday 09 Dec 2002 4:11 pm, Charles Hauser wrote:
> All,
>
> A couple of novice questions:
>

> I would like to modify an existing TABLE by addinga new column (FOREIGN
> KEY):
>
>        type_id int not null,
>        foreign key (type_id) references cvterm (cvterm_id),
>

> Will this work ( running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled
> by GCC 2.96):

You'll need to check your manuals for 7.1.3 - look in the SQL command
reference under ALTER TABLE. It should work with current versions but I don't
have v7.1.3 to hand.

> I would like to load data into the table below from a file lacking the
> timestamp fields, where the file structure is:
>
> COPY table FROM STDIN;
> 1    feature_type    types of features    \N
> 2    3'-exon    \N    1
>
> This fails as the timestamp fields are 'not null'.  Othere than
> generating INSERT stmts for the data how else could I enter the data?

You could process the file with perl/awk etc. and add the required timestamps.
I don't think COPY substitutes default values for you.

--  Richard Huxton