Re: Rules/Trigges Trade-offs - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Rules/Trigges Trade-offs
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > check on
> > >
> > > We have changed ordering in 7.3 where I think INSERT rules are _after_
> > > the insert.
> >
> > How would that work?  What if I want to reject the insert?
>
> Uh, good question.  I can't remember now what we re-ordered in 7.3, but
> I thought it had to do with rules.

OK, I found what I wanted. We made rules fire in alphabetical order in
7.3, and INSTEAD rules are not reordered to the font/back --- they are
treated just like any other rule and executed alphabetically.

I thought we had some problem with rules or triggers and OLD/NEW
handling, but I can't see any mention of that, and it must have been in
an older release.

The question of firing order is a good one and one that isn't asked very
often.

Pennsylvania19073