Re: Regarding boolean datatype - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Regarding boolean datatype
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 05 Dec 2002 9:11 am, kanika singh wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> this is my first interaction with this list. I have a
> problem. I was using MSSQL Server as db, now i m
> changing to Postgres. I know that the bit type in
> MSSQLserver is boolean in Postgres.

There's also a bit type if that's really what you want, but in this case I
think boolean is right.
PS - if you get error messages again, please let us know what version and
client you are using (e.g. PostgreSQL v7.2.1 from jdbc)

> strSql    = " Update parts Set name = ? , description = ?
> world_market = ?, part = ? , unit_of_measure = ?
> Where depot= ?;
>
> prepStmt = conn.prepareStatement(strSql);
> prepStmt.setString( 1, Pname) ;
> prepStmt.setString( 2, Pdesc) ;
> prepStmt.setBoolean(3, BoolWM) ;
[snip]
> SQLError ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '~~'
> for types 'boolean' and 'unknown'
> You will have to retype this query using an explicit
> cast

Are you sure this error goes with this query? I don't see any use of LIKE here
(which is what ~~ does for you).

> I know, somewhere i m making mistake, but where??
> Moreover, if i m updating the database with the above
> query, the db is giving the error and deleting the
> data from the db. As per my understanding it should
> automatically rollback. What is the problem???

I find this unlikely. If Postgresql was in the habit of deleting data without
being asked to there'd be mention of it. I suggest you turn query logging on
(in your postgresql.conf file) while you try to reproduce this. That will
show you what is really happening.

> What are the other coding rules for Postgres??

Manuals are at http://www.postgresql.org/
Extra info at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ (including some online books)
Mailing lists you know about.

--  Richard Huxton