Re: Is there any limitations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Is there any limitations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 7:49 pm, li li wrote:
> > It depends on what you're going to do.  If the idea is to join across
> > the tables, it'll probably perform worse than just ahving a large
> > table.  OTOH, if what you're doing is, say, archiving from time to
> > time, it doesn't seem unreasonable.
>
> The purpose for this design is to avoid record lookup in a huge table.
> I expect to see the query results in, say, one minute, by searching a much
> smaller table (not join across multiple tables).
>
> Thanks and regards.

If you only want *most* queries to finish in one minute - I've used two tables
in the past. One for recent info (which is what most of my users wanted) and
one for older info (which only got accessed rarely). You're only union-ing
two tables then and you can cluster the older table as mentioned elsewhere.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd