Re: [OT] Inventory systems (private) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Troy
Subject Re: [OT] Inventory systems (private)
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ries,

One solution is to create a table such as follows:

CREATE TABLE inventory (id serial, product text, PRIMARY KEY (id)
) ;
CREATE TABLE attributes (prodid int4, textkey text, textvalue text, int4value int4,FOREIGN KEY (prodid) REFERENCES
inventory(id) MATCH FULL ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE

);

INSERT INTO inventory (id, product) VALUES (100, 'Tire');

INSERT INTO attributes (prodid, textkey, textvalue) VALUES (100, 'Type', 'matchbox tire');
INSERT INTO attributes (prodid, textkey, textvalue) VALUES (100, 'Color', 'black');
INSERT INTO attributes (prodid, textkey, int4value, textvalue) VALUES (100, 'Diameter', 12, 'mm');
INSERT INTO attributes (prodid, textkey, int4value, textvalue) VALUES (100, 'Weight', 20, 'g');
CREATE INDEX textkeys ON attributes USING btree (prodid);
CREATE INDEX textkeys2 ON attributes USING btree (prodid,textkey);

To select diameter for product id 100 (Tire):
SELECT prodid FROM attributes WHERE prodid = 100 AND textkey = 'Diameter';

To select several:
SELECT prodid,textkey,textvalue,int4value FROM attributes WHERE prodid = 100 AND textkey IN ('Diameter', 'Weight',
'Color','Type');

and so on.

The indexes are just a fast guess. You would need to look at the queries
you generate and decide which indexes are needed.

Cheers,

Troy

Troy Korjuslommi                Tksoft Inc.
tjk@tksoft.com