Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] returning CHAR from C function - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From elein
Subject Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] returning CHAR from C function
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I think I do not know the background on this.
Could you explain why the char type is converted
to bpchar when a function is defined to return a char?
Are only C functions affected?  Is char as a type deprecated
in favor of bpchar?  Should something in the fmgr interface
change to support this?=20=20

I thought that char was always one character and
char(n) was similar to varchar(n) but with different=20
semantics wrt spaces.  char1 works for me if char
is really usurped by bpchar.

We can take it off line except personal mail from me
to you tends to bounce.  I just want to understand this.

Thanks,
elein
elein@varlena.com

On Saturday 30 November 2002 20:44, you wrote:
> elein <elein@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> > I think it is still a bug,
>
> Not unless you can define an upward-compatible migration path to some
> non-spec-conflicting typename (I'd favor char1, if we were going to
> rename the type).
>
>             regards, tom lane

--=20
elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com