How to take advantage of PREPARED QUERIES of PGSQL 7.3 in mod_perl enviornment? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah.
Subject How to take advantage of PREPARED QUERIES of PGSQL 7.3 in mod_perl enviornment?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi

Like many others we also use postgresql as the backend DataBase server for our  web applications.
I am curious how can i take advantage of this new feature.

Typically  each mod_perl (perl enabled apache) httpd process creates a persistant
connection with the DB server (this acheived by connection pooling thru Apache::DBI ),

My question is we already have a  "prepare" facility in the DBI layer of perl which
which in effect does something similar to "PREPARE" in the DB server. Is prepare
at DB server level better that prepare at perl level ? or am i misunderstanding something?

Secondly if i were to use DB level prepare in an existing mod_perl scenerio what
could be a typical usage/implementation pattern? any suggestions?

thirdly , Say in my startup.pl , thru a DBI->do(" STATEMENT " ) call i create all
my PREPARED queries , will it be scalable?

i have 20-30 kinds of SQL statements that my webapps
frequently execute, how many prepared queries can be stored in a backend
without scalability issues. will it be an acceptable usage pattern of
this new feature in a mod_perl environment?

Sorry if my mail is sounding too mod/perl/DBI ish ;-)

Regds
Mallah.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,