Re: How to access OLD and NEW with rule on update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Han Holl
Subject Re: How to access OLD and NEW with rule on update
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 29 November 2002 02:28 am, you wrote:
> "Han Holl" <han.holl@prismant.nl> writes:
> > I need to call a function when updating on a view, like :
> >
> > create rule udps_upd as on update to udps do
> >   instead select function_call();
> >
> > My problem: how do I get a reference to OLD and NEW ?
> >
> > I tried function_call(OLD, NEW)  -- parse error
>
> I think you'll need to do it as
>
>      function_call(old.col1, old.col2, ..., new.col1, new.col2, ...)
>
> Pretty tedious :-( but the rule rewriter doesn't support whole-row
> references to OLD or NEW.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that.
I't not the tediousness that's the problem though, but that I don't
know the column names. And there might be 300 columns in this
view.
I guess it's read-only for the time being.

Cheers,

Han Holl