Problem with initdb -W - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Problem with initdb -W
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have an IRC report, confirmed, that in RC2 initdb -W (set super-user
password) fails:
$ initdb -WThe files belonging to this database system will be owned by user"postgres".This user must also own the
serverprocess.The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.creating directory /u/pg/data... okcreating
directory/u/pg/data/base... okcreating directory /u/pg/data/global... okcreating directory /u/pg/data/pg_xlog...
okcreatingdirectory /u/pg/data/pg_clog... okcreating template1 database in /u/pg/data/base/1... okcreating
configurationfiles... okinitializing pg_shadow... okEnter new superuser password: Enter it again: setting password...
Thegroup file wasn't generated. Please report this problem.initdb failed.Removing /u/pg/data.

Of course, the obvious solution is not to use -W.  ;-)

I will research this but I wanted to report it right away.  My only
guess is that the standalone backend to alter the super-user password is
messing up things:
   "$PGPATH"/postgres $PGSQL_OPT template1 >/dev/null <<EOF       ALTER USER "$POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME" WITH PASSWORD
'$FirstPw';

Pennsylvania19073