Re: performance of insert/delete/update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott,

> No offense meant, really.  It's just that you seemed to really doubt that
> putting things into one transaction helped, and putting things into one
> big transaction if like the very first postgresql lesson a lot of
> newcomers learn. :-)

Not so odd, if you think about it.  After all, this approach is only useful
for a series of small update/insert statements on a single connection.
Thinking about it, I frankly never do this except as part of a stored
procedure ... which, in Postgres, is automatically a transaction.

I'm lucky enough that my data loads have all been adaptable to COPY
statements, which bypasses this issue completely.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions