Re: Error when comparing an integer to an empty string. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Louis-David Mitterrand
Subject Re: Error when comparing an integer to an empty string.
Date
Re: Error when comparing an integer to an empty string.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:07:55AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 17:30:10 +0100,
>   David Pradier <dpradier@apartia.fr> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm new on this list, my name is David Pradier, and i'm french.
> >
> > I'm currently trying the new postgresql 7.3rc1, and i've noticed that if
> > i compared an integer to an empty string, i ran in an error.
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature of the new 7.3 version ?
> > Is there a purpose ?
>
> What number do you expect '' to represent?
>
> Probably you either want to use:
> = '0'
> or
> is null
> depending on what you are really trying to do.

The point David was trying to make is:

with 7.2:
template1=# select 1 = ''; ?column? ---------- f(1 row)

with 7.3rc1:
template1=# select 1 = '';ERROR:  pg_atoi: zero-length string

Is this change of behavior intentional?

-- HIPPOLYTE: Trézène m'obéit. Les campagnes de Crète           Offrent au fils de Phèdre une riche retraite.
                             (Phèdre, J-B Racine, acte 2, scène 2)