Error when comparing an integer to an empty string. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Pradier
Subject Error when comparing an integer to an empty string.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

I'm new on this list, my name is David Pradier, and i'm french.

I'm currently trying the new postgresql 7.3rc1, and i've noticed that if
i compared an integer to an empty string, i ran in an error.

Example :
=# select nom_comm from operation where id_operation = '';
ERROR:  pg_atoi: zero-length string

\d operation gives :
id_operation | integer | not null default nextval('"operation_type_id_operation_seq"'::text)

Is this a bug or a feature of the new 7.3 version ?
Is there a purpose ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
David.