Re: function does not exist error... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: function does not exist error...
Date
List pgsql-novice
Dan,

> The big picture of what I'm trying to do is that I have large flat
> file of records created with info about individual recordings
> (songs).  I want to split those out into appropriately referenced
> tables.
>
> I thought I could create a combination of rules and triggers to step
> through the table (or a text file exported from it) and send the data
> where it needs to go.  Part of the process would be to check for
> existing entries to prevent redundency. I also want be able to add
> entries to join tables on the fly.

Why do you want to use Triggers and Rules?   Do you need to import this data
from source daily?  Even so, batch processing will be faster than executing a
trigger for each row inserted.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco