retrieving specific info. from one column and locating it in another - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From MARC BEDOIS
Subject retrieving specific info. from one column and locating it in another
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm trying to retrieve some info from one column and
put it in another.  I have a column that has a bunch
of information in it called 'Route'.  I don't need to
show all of that information.  Instead I need divide
that single column into two seperate columns called
'Sender' and 'Receiver'.  How do I divide this
information up into these two columns.  I know of
methods called charindex and patindex.  I need to do
something like that but instead of returning the
position of the info, to just return the selected
info.
Ex)  I have a column named Route....with info in it
similar to 'UPS NS  Ground'      How do I create a second column called
'Delivery' and pull only the 'NS' out of the Route
column and put it into the 'Reciever' column?      Similarly how would I pull just the UPS part
out of Route and put it into 'Sender'?

thanks,
Marc