Re: vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From george young
Subject Re: vacuum full
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:20:16 +0100
"Henrik Steffen" <steffen@city-map.de> wrote:

> sorry, didn't notice your message posted to pgsql-general...
>
> but is there any method to see the size in bytes a particular index
> for a particular table takes?

For a table foo, do:
psql mydatabase
-- first find the index name:
mydatabase=> \d foo
Indexes: foo_pkey unique btree (mykey)
-- now find the unix file name of the index:
mydatabase=> select relfilenode from pg_class where relname='foo_pkey';
 relfilenode
-------------
       18122
-- Thus the file name of the index is "18122".
\q
# now go and look for the file:
unixprompt> su postgres
Password:
postgres> cd /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/????
postgres> ls -l 18122
-rw-------    1 postgres daemon    7471104 Nov 21 12:52 18122

Thus the index for table foo is 7.4 MBytes in size.  What I left
out is the ???? directory name above.  I find it by educated guess.

Does someone know the right way to map from database name to
data directory name?

-- George

--
 I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is
 not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific they seem. Ah,