Re: streaming result sets: progress - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Haris Peco
Subject Re: streaming result sets: progress
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 08:08 pm, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Haris Peco <snpe@snpe.co.yu> writes:
> > Yes, proccess increase with result from server and diferent is that
> > C request less memory - in C we can execute big qyery than Java
> > I can't believe that we must complete query in memory, but it is true
> > Excuse me
>
> If you look at the implementation of the libpq library you'll see
> that it's exactly the same as the java one: the query is done and
> then all the rows are retrieved and kept in memory.
>
> If you're able to do it in C it's because C has slightly more
> efficient memory handling than Java does. It must also mean that your
> machine has just too little memory for your Java app, if I were you
> I'd just buy some more RAM as a quick fix to your problem.
>
> Another alternative is to create 2 connections and use a cursor in
> one. Or to package your update operations as stored procs operating
> over the large results.

Hello Nic
yes, for me only alternative is cursor out of transaction and I think that it
is not big request.Oracle, db2, sql server, sybase, informix etc have this
Your work with cursor is great, but we have to it out of transaction

thanks