Re: newbie psql error opening libpq.so.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Patrick Welche
Subject Re: newbie psql error opening libpq.so.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:16:39AM -0800, Ed Brown wrote:
> I'm new to PostgreSQL, and having a problem getting the software up
> and running on SCO Openserver 5.0.6. I've installed PostgreSQL v7.2.3,
> and get the following error when attempting to run psql:
>
> psql : error opening libpq.so.2
>
> The libpq.so.2 file does exist in the pgsql/lib directory. Compiled
> with gcc version 2.95.2.
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't know about SCO, but non-elf systems often need eg.
a file /etc/ld.so.conf or an environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH which
contain a list of directories to search for shared libraries. Maybe
pgsql/lib needs to be added...

ldd `which psql`
would say "not found" for lpq.2. ("error opening" sounds more ominous, but
might be the same?)

Cheers,

Patrick