default values - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Felipe Schnack
Subject default values
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
  This is the third time I post this message. Nobody have ANY opinion about
it? I mean, I'm willing to implement a solution for this, but I would like to
discuss a little...
  Someone wrote to pgsql general list telling that you could insert the
default value of a column using DEFAULT keyword on pgsql 7.3. Example:
  INSERT INTO TEST (varcharfield1, varcharfield2) VALUES ('text', DEFAULT)
  In this case, the "varcharfield2" column would get its default value (as
defined in CREATE TABLE). I was wondering, how I would do it using
PreparedStatements? If I prepare an SQL like
  INSERT INTO TEST (varcharfield1, varcharfield2) VALUES (?, ?)
  I need to have some way to set one of the the parameters as DEFAULT, but
how? Using the current JDBC driver I believe is impossible, probably we would
need something like a "setDefault(int)" method in PreparedStatement, where int
is the parameter index. What do you think about it?

Felipe Schnack
Analista de Sistemas
felipes@ritterdosreis.br
Cel.: (51)91287530