Re: Can I install 2nd set of postgresql into the same server? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Can I install 2nd set of postgresql into the same server?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 14 Nov 2002 5:36 am, アムス wrote:
> I am using rental server with root access. The server was initially set up
> with postgresql, but the db is used only for the server maintanance.
>
> I could not get connected to the database.
>
> The db was started with -i option. But still, I can not get it connected.
>
> The portnumber should be 5432 as default.
>
> Q1. How can I check to see if postgresql is using port 5432?

Try the "lsof" command "lsof -i" will list all processes that have any ports
open.

> I have put PGPORT=5432 at .bash_profile and exported it to make sure it is
> using port number 5432. But still I could not get connected.
>
> Here is the part of the program I use.
>
> php3 file has the following code:
>
> <?
>  include("gw.conf");
>  include("include/admchk.func");
>  $conn = @pg_Connect($host,"5432","","",$masterdb);
>  if (!$conn) {
>   echo "<B>Can not connect to the database.</B><BR>\n";
>   exit;
>  }
> ?>
>
> Each time I run this portion, I get the error of not connected to the db.

Try checking the pg_errormessage($conn)

> Q2. Can anyone help me find out what to look for in order to correct this
> problem?

If PG is listening on the port, and there's no firewall interfering then it's
probably the settings in your pg_hba.conf - make sure the host you connect
from (localhost?) is listed as allowing connections. See the manuals for
details.

> Q3. Can I install another copy of postgresql into the existing server?
> Another words, can I stall another copy of postgresql which will not
> interrupt to the previous set of postgresql?

I seem to remember doing this (I use a separate machine for testing now).
Install to a different location, make sure you initdb a different location
and choose a different port for the new PostgreSQL to listen on.

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton