Synchronising/mirroring databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anand Buddhdev
Subject Synchronising/mirroring databases
Date
List pgsql-general
I want to be able to keep 3 geographically separate PGSQL databases
synchronised. I looked at rserv, which is distributed with the later
versions, and it seems to work well. However, unless I read the
documentation wrong, it will only work with one master and one slave.

I am also not sure how resilient rserv is to network outages in the middle
of a synchronisation process. I attempted to interrupt one rserv sync
process, and noticed that the remote slave database was not modified,
and later, when the network was available again, it synced correctly. But
one such test is no guarantee about its resilience. Could anyone shed
more light on rserv's reliability?

Is anyone doing database replication using other means? How do they
achieve it?

I was thinking of alternative ideas, and I came up with a simple solution
myself, but I don't know if it's the right way to go about it. My
solution involves generating insert/delete/update queries and writing
them out to files each time the master server is changed. And then have
a queue runner process collect these queries, and execute them remotely
on each slave database using the psql tool. Thus the slaves would be
updated asynchronously, and that's not a problem, as long as they do
get updated within a few minutes of the master. In case the network
was not available when the queue runner was processing the requests,
then it can just try later.

I would appreciate ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org