Re: v7.3Beta4 Tag'd and Packaged ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: v7.3Beta4 Tag'd and Packaged ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> >>As I was unable to figure out a way of merging HEAD into a BRANCH
> >>(BRANCH into HEAD is easy), I moved the REL7_3_STABLE tag up to today, so
> >>that the BRANCH is in a more appropriate location.
>
> It is easy to move both directions; I've done it. You need to have the
> right stuff in your checked-out tree (probably the branch), and you need
> to do the merge from HEAD. What went wrong in trying to do that?

Okay, definitely something that I'd like to document how to do for next
time ... from what I read in the CVS docs (info cvs), you could pull a
branch into HEAD using the -j option ... for instance, I'd checkout HEAD,
and then run:
       cvs update -j REL7_3_STABLE

to pull in those changes that were made to the REL7_3_STABLE branch ...

But, if I did:
       cvs checkout -rREL7_3_STABLE pgsql

What would I use as BRANCHNAME in the -j to 'pull in' the changes we made
to HEAD?  Or is there where I'm misunderstanding something?