Re: novice question about current_time() - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Dalitz
Subject Re: novice question about current_time()
Date
List pgsql-general
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:46:00 -0500
> From: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com>
>
> I have a query where I'd like to know how much time
> has passed from me launching and ending the query.
>
> So, in the script, I have:
>
> [snip]
> select 'begin', current_time();
> [/snip]
>
> What seems to be happening is that when I launch the
> script, it hangs ... nothing seems to be happening.  I

This is a consequence of a brain dead ANSI SQL standard which tries to make
SQL as similiar to spoken English as possible (eg. CAST(bla AS int) etc.).

ANSI-SQL requires the ommittance of the parenthesis. Thus the
following should work:

select 'begin', current_time;

Christoph Dalitz