Re: supplying password to psql on command line? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Dalitz
Subject Re: supplying password to psql on command line?
Date
Re: supplying password to psql on command line?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:56:32 -0800
> From: Medi Montaseri <medi.montaseri@intransa.com>
>
> I think Font ends are moving away from this approach as others can see
> your supplied
> passwd by a simple ps(1) command.

There used to be a program "hide.c" available from the oracle website,
which made this impossible. Unfortunately I can no longer find it.

A simpler approach however is to supply the password from stdin.
With Oracle's sqlplus this works as follows:

    #!/bin/sh

    sqlplus <<EOF
    userid/password@tnasalias
    /* SQL commands */
    EOF

Unfortunately this does *not* work with psql because for some strange reason
psql does not read the password from stdin.

Christoph Dalitz