Re: idle connection timeout ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: idle connection timeout ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:04:55 -0400,
>   Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> > The per db/user stuff is stored in the pg_database/pg_shadow tables per
> > row, so they exist in permanent storage.
>
> I have a question about this. This stuff is per user OR per db right?
> When I see per db/user I get the impression that users can have different
> settings depending on which db they connect to. But looking at alter
> database and alter user it looks like settings are per database or
> per user, but there isn't a way to (in general) set something that
> applies to a particular user when connecting to a particular database.
> If there is a way to do that, I would be interested in a hint where to
> look in the documentation.

You are right, there isn't a per/db-user combination setting. I think
one is done before the other, so you could try to set things that way,
maybe in a plpgsql procedure.  I think you could do SELECT
db_user_set(); and have that function do that sets for you.

Pennsylvania19073