Database backend not shutting down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Travis Bauer
Subject Database backend not shutting down
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with postgresql 7.1.2
running under solaris.  I have the server
on one maching running.  Occassionally,
all at once, I'll have about 200 clients
try to connect at once for a short time using
JDBC.  Postgress will only accept 32 users
at a time (Solaris does not seem to like it
when I try to increase this number).  If a
client can't get a connection, it waits for
a random number of seconds (between 1 and 10)
and then tries again until it gets a connection.

The problem:  What seems to happen is that
one backend does all the work and the others
just sit and do nothing.  When I run top,
I see one postgres process using about 1%
of the processor time and a large number
down the list doing nothing.  Why won't
postgress kill the other backends and reuse
the connections?  They are being closed
by the JDBC client.

Thanks,
Travis