Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > First we need to decide what we want to happen and after that think about
> > how to implement it.  Given sizeof(off_t) > sizeof(long) and no fseeko(),
> > we have the following options:
>
> It seems obvious to me that there are no platforms that offer
> sizeof(off_t) > sizeof(long) but have no API for doing seeks with off_t.
> That would be just plain silly.  IMHO it's acceptable for us to fail at
> configure time if we can't figure out how to seek.

I would certainly be happy failing at configure time, so we know at the
start what is broken, rather than failures during restore.

> The question is *which* seek APIs we need to support.  Are there any
> besides fseeko() and fgetpos()?

What I have added is BSD/OS specific because only on BSD/OS do I know
fpos_t and off_t are the same type.  If we come up with other platforms,
we will have to deal with it then.

Pennsylvania19073