pgsql-server/src/backend/access/nbtree README ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From tgl@postgresql.org (Tom Lane)
Subject pgsql-server/src/backend/access/nbtree README ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    02/10/20 16:47:32

Modified files:
    src/backend/access/nbtree: README nbtree.c

Log message:
    Fix potential problem with btbulkdelete deleting an indexscan's current
    item, if the page containing the current item is split while the indexscan
    is stopped and holds no read-lock on the page.  The current item might
    move right onto a page that the indexscan holds no pin on.  In the prior
    code this would allow btbulkdelete to reach and possibly delete the item,
    causing 'my bits moved right off the end of the world!' when the indexscan
    finally resumes.  Fix by chaining read-locks to the right during
    _bt_restscan and requiring btbulkdelete to LockBufferForCleanup on every
    page it scans, not only those with deletable items.  Per my pghackers
    message of 25-May-02.  (Too bad no one could think of a better way.)